Lifeline Syria Sponsorship ProcessStep by step
Call for Refugee Sponsorship
As Syria staggers into its fifth year of a brutal civil war, almost 12 million people – fully half the country’s population – are homeless, including 6.5 million internally displaced people inside Syria and 4.8 million refugees outside the country who have little hope of returning to Syria safely.
Half of those uprooted are children who have been traumatized by war, robbed of an education, forced from their homes and now live in appalling conditions in exile. Canadians can help prevent a disaster from becoming a catastrophe. Every family that we can resettle is one step closer to a resolution. Private refugee sponsorship (a globally unique Canadian program) empowers Canadian citizens to offer a new life to the most vulnerable.
Lifeline Syria has approximately 2000 refugees backlogged waiting for sponsor groups before their cases can be submitted to the government. We are relying on Canadians to step forward to help with the resettlement of these refugees.
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, Lifeline Syria needs your help sponsoring refugees in any way that suits your abilities best:
- Form a Group of 5 sponsor group: If you know 4 others and have the ability (as a group) to raise funds to sponsor a refugee family/individual, fill out our group form now and we will be in touch with next steps.
- Join an existing sponsor group: If you are an individual who has funds and would like to contribute in sponsoring a refugee family/individual, we can connect you with like-minded individuals to form the group of 5 needed for sponsorship
If you are willing to assist Syrian refugees and join other like-minded individuals in this important humanitarian and life-changing initiative, please send an email titled “Call for Refugee Sponsorship” to indicating your preferred type of sponsorship involvement. Should you have any questions, please call us at 647-943-6300.
- Responsibilities of a sponsor group
- Fundraising minimums for sponsor groups
- Current government processing times for refugee cases (after Lifeline Syria submits your case)
- Sponsor information meeting videos
- Download Lifeline Syria’s Refugee Intake Guide (for refugee applicants)
Lifeline Syria will focus much of its attention on assisting the sponsorship of any Syrian who qualifies as a refugee and who has friends or family in Canada who are willing to work on the sponsorship.
Before moving forward with the sponsorship process you need to understand about eligibility. There are regulations about who can be called a refugee and who is not considered a refugee. Who is eligible