Lifeline Syria was launched in June of 2015 and incorporated as a not-for-profit in September of 2015 in response to the ongoing humanitarian refugee crisis, to assist sponsor groups to welcome and resettle Syrian refugees as permanent residents in the GTA. The organization is committed to helping Syrian refugees settle in Canada.
This community engagement initiative:
- Enriches Canada as every other refugee movement has in the past
- Enhances Canada’s refugee resettlement commitment
- Provides opportunities for ordinary people to respond to a humanitarian crisis
- Assists Syrian families in the Greater Toronto Area to be reunited with their friends and family
- Gives refugees an opportunity to restart their lives in Canada
To accomplish this, Lifeline Syria:
- Helps recruit, train and assist sponsoring groups to welcome and support refugee families during their first year in the GTA;
- Works with the Syrian community in the GTA to ensure that they help shape and participate in this initiative;
- Convenes and engages community leaders in the GTA as champions for the program;
- Works with pro bono lawyers to help process refugee applications accurately and efficiently;
- Liaises with Sponsorship Agreement Holders, the settlement sector and other partners to ensure that proper supports are available to newcomers.